In the book this appears in wool, with the main colour quite dark….I imagine that doesn’t particularly show up the stitch detail to good effect. Since I was planning on a spring version I wanted to use cotton and shorter sleeves too.
Originally I had intended to use stash Soho cotton but when I sat down with all my yarn in hand I read the errata for the first time. Major error: the yarn quanities for the main colour need to be about double those indicated in the original pattern: 11 instead of 6, I think, for the small size I was knitting.
Hmmm. Not the first time this has happened to me this year. I ended up using another yarn I had in my stash as the main colour: RYC Luxury Cotton.
I love the colour of it: a pistachio green which I thought would go with everything, but maybe in truth it’s a much fussier colour than that. My many advisors were anxious about the combination I chose…but in the end I think it has turned out pretty well.
Pattern: Sandalwood by Jo Sharp
Yarn: RYC Luxury Cotton – the limitless space of the internet isn’t enough for me to begin to tell you how much I hate this yarn and in how many ways.
Modifications: I knitted this in the round, partly because the colour pattern at the bottom has so many colour changes in it, including after only one row, that I thought it would be less messy this way. I also decided that the enormous amount of ease written into the pattern wasn’t what I wanted, so after the bottom band of colour I decreased a whole pattern repeat (11 stitches) each side. I was worried I might have done that too quickly, but it seems to have turned out okay. I knitted the sleeves in the round as well.
Thoughts: I think I would have really enjoyed knitting this pattern if it hadn’t been in a despicable yarn. I could imagine doing another one in wool sometime and keeping the extra ease in it in that case.