Curried parsnip soup
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 20g butter
- 2-3 curry leaves
- 1 teasp mustard seeds
- 1 teasp good quality Indian curry paste*
- pinch of turmeric
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly chopped coriander leaves
Sweat parsnip and onion with butter and spices over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add water to cover and simmer until parsnip is very tender, about 20 minutes. Blend and season. Reheat and add lots of coriander leaves to each bowl before serving.
* In my opinion there is no such things as good commercial curry pastes/mixes. Make your own powder – eg Julie Sahni’s master curry powder which is divine – and use that.
recipe from Stephanie Alexander The Cook’s Companion