What I had on hand…..I though fennel and olives sounded weird, but it tasted good.
Not so much soup as soupy.
- 4 pieces of chicken, not breast, free range/organic if you can afford it
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, discard the coarse outer layer. Dice the rest.
- a few carrots, peeled and diced
- a few zucchinis washed and diced
- potatoes peeled and diced, I used some kipflers
- a large onion peeled and chopped finely
- a few cloves of garlic chopped finely
- white wine
- olives: I used good quality black olives, stone them
- ghee or some other frying substitute
- fry the onion until soft, add the garlic and stir a few times
- add maybe a cup of dry white wine and burn off the alcohol
- add everything else and water to cover
We had three meals from this, two with chicken and one with the vegetables left in the stock. It was more or less soupy with the chicken, we had fresh bread with it. When we were down to the vegetables, I added slightly underdone short pasta, covered the pan while the pasta soaked up some of the stock. Served with spoons, parmesan and salt/pepper to taste.
This got a yum rating from us.